.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"You Can't Fight Evil With A Macaroni Duck!"

General musings and observations of the world. Commentaries and thoughts on various subjects. Links to interesting sites and programs. Site's name comes from the TV cartoon "The Tick". [Scott aka Alefifer]

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere on the eastern shore, Maryland, United States

Originally from Rhode Island and now living in Maryland. Happily married to my best friend and have two wonderful daughters. I have a sense of humor that sometimes takes over when I should be restraining it.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

LinuxElectrons - AT&T Forwards ALL Internet Traffic Into NSA Says EFF

"The evidence that we are filing supports our claim that AT&T is diverting Internet traffic into the hands of the NSA wholesale, in violation of federal wiretapping laws and the Fourth Amendment," said Electronic Frontier Foundation Staff Attorney Kevin Bankston.

LinuxElectrons - AT&T Forwards ALL Internet Traffic Into NSA Says EFF

Personally I find this hard to believe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

First of all, thank-you very much for adding me to your BlogRing; I feel honored.

With regards to the article about AT&T pipelining all internet traffic through NSA goes; yes I do understand the basics about the internet and how packets go to and fro. When you came to my site I realize that your pc didn't actually travel to 'my site' but a packet of data maybe took maybe 19 little hops or so to get 'here' (where the data's stored at blogspot's servers) and then back to your pc. What I have problems wrapping my head around is the sheer volume of data that is being passed on the internet and how an intelligence gathering program could even begin to try to analyze that much data, even if it's via a high-speed computer simply scanning for 'keywords'. Though this is a poor analogy I imagine a large fast moving river flowing under a bridge. In this river are a myriad of different species of fish. A team has been sent to analyze the number of scales on these fish and filter out those fish whose scales number is a prime number. What I see them doing is dipping a net or bucket in the water and pulling it up and looking inside, or dipping a skimming net just onto the surface. I feel the task is extremely vast. Okay....maybe this is a ridiculous way to put it. I just doubt that all internet data is being screened at NSA.

Another thing to consider is that, from what I've read, the scope of that place has always been foreign intelligence gathering and not domestic. I would imagine that such a mining/filtering operation would be so contrary to their original mission definition that there would be lot of opposition to the program.

So are there known NSA nodes that would appear on a traceroute scan? hmmmm.... Any idea on an IP range on it? (Oh, of course, it wouldn't show up on the traceroute. 'they' can do that. not being a wise-ass, just anticipating your response cause that's what I'd come back with. and quite probably it may be the case.)

But I do think there are those that want to think they we can do this....both in and out of the intelligence community. Within....those that write up those nice little to-do lists for world domination...controlling the world's internet has indeed been mentioned. Without...well lots of folks will believe pretty much anything and conspiracy theories on the internet are everywhere. But I do feel it's at least a possibility and worth posting up here; people need to be poked with the "Think!!"-stick a lot these days, and at least the link didn't point to the dangers of Reptoids having a secret base under the White House, mind-control drug distribution in contrails or instructions on how to make a tin-foil hat. (Though perhaps I should make a new link category for that genre)

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

4/08/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Fran / Blue Gal said...

The fact that we're talking about this at all shows what scary times we live in. We cannot trust our leadership. WHERE IS CONGRESS? Aren't they called "Representatives" for a reason? Drives me nuts.

4/15/2006 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home