.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"You Can't Fight Evil With A Macaroni Duck!"

General musings and observations of the world. Commentaries and thoughts on various subjects. Links to interesting sites and programs. Site's name comes from the TV cartoon "The Tick". [Scott aka Alefifer]

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere on the eastern shore, Maryland, United States

Originally from Rhode Island and now living in Maryland. Happily married to my best friend and have two wonderful daughters. I have a sense of humor that sometimes takes over when I should be restraining it.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Search Links

Did a bit of updating on some links. I don't usually comment on this when I do, just normally put "new" up next to the link and let you figure it out. Today is different. I want to comment on a couple of them.

I've removed the link to Vivisimo search engine (okay yeah so it's a META-search engine and not a search engine and I don't care if this upsets you...I'm going to call them all search engines.)...removed it because they're in the process of changing the name of their web search to Clusty. Vivisimo is awesome, so if you haven't tried it...Clusty's the same thing. Clusty also has something they're calling "Clusty Clouds" which are little search snaps with tags you can click on that update dynamically when a page loads. Confused? It's some code you can put on your site with a search parameter and your visitors can click on the metatags the search yielded. Still confused? Oh go visit the site and read their explanation.

Now Vivisimo...that's a name that you want to say with a booming voice, poised like Captain Morgan. It's got an Old World ring to it. Bravisimo!
But Clusty? Okay, I know you want to emphasize that your searching design yields results in clusters, but Clusty?? Sounds like a drunk clown. Or no...sounds like something the doctor mentions at the clinic. "Sir, you've come down with a bad case of Clusty. Take this cream and pills and see me again in a month."

All joking aside. I have always chosen Vivisimo as my first stop when doing a search and I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the name Clusty.

Other links I added today are Kartoo and Ojiko. Kartoo is a visual search engine, that is the results are displayed visually in flash. Neat and pretty good results too. Ojiko is newer and is made by the same company, though the engine doesn't search through as many resources as Kartoo. But Ojiko is very interesting. It's got a graphic interface that evolves the more you use it so that you can customize your usage of it. Worth playing with for a while.(Yes it's almost like a game....getting your search engine up to level 10!) Mine now has very groovy colors.

Look in the sidebar on the left for the links if you want to go explore these links.

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger PridePress said...

Scott...Where are you?

I hope all is well...Gary

11/16/2006 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home